Saturday, November 15, 2008

"Man time on the Mountain", The Update Marathon, vol. 1.



I know, I know...I haven't added anything in a while. Well that is because I have been a busy little boy. I usually have time to post on the weekends, but recently my weekends become filled with activities before I ever get a chance to think, let alone agree to the activities. This coming week I will add three, yes, you heard me THREE, new posts, with pictures, and verbage, and a dancing elephant. (those are rare here in Korea however, so that may last part may take a while). My hope is that by forcing myself to write more frequently than I should, it might mix with my usually laziness, and I will end up somewhere in the middle.

If I haven't said this already, Korea is truly a beautiful country. Nearly all forests and mountains. But don't think Rocky Mountains, think like the Appalachians and the Ozarks fell in love and had a baby, with a little pine tree blood in there somewhere. This being the case, my friend Young-Ju wanted to take me on a short hiking excursion a couple weekends ago. I was kinda needing some man time (only 1 other guy in my program here, and most other guys on campus are either not my age, or don't speak English all too well), and I think he had a long weekend studying, so we both felt like escaping into the wilderness, even if just for a short time. I think most men would agree, guy time is made all the better by taking place in the wild...it's where Adam was created after all, God moved him into the comfort of the garden later.

So, here are a few pictures from our trek, and a short video at the end with Young-Ju's take on our climb.

Start of the trip. Meet my friend, Young Ju.




Other explorers!


This sign held a Korean proverb, which YoungJu tried to explain to me. The wisdom I got was this, "We are called human, but one is truly human only if one acts like a human." The idea is that what we are called, or what we may say does not define who and what we are, only our actions can do that.

Small retreat building that can be rented by people/organizations.

Hah, I caught YoungJu mid-explanation.
Cool little ampitheater, also part of the retreat place.

Korean gazebo thing near the top.

The landscape of Korea. This is normal.



A random lightpole...at the end of the path...near the top of the mountian. I started looking for a satyr in a red scarf.
Sitting area we stopped at on the way down.














Korean children who said "hi-eeeee" to me. They are already some of the cutest kids in the world, then they also get the adorable accent, it's simply not fair.



The Epilogue

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hal... you're in love with KOREA!!!! We miss you here. Have fun, but don't forget us. seriously.

Anonymous said...

it IS pretty! that's more incentive...

so in 3 days. 1 hour. 13 minutes. 21 seconds. i am going to see a movie about our favorite vampire!

Cortney and Dave said...

Hal we are so glad you are taking advantage of every second you are away:) Be safe and take care!
P.S. you should be able to access our blog by clicking on our name on this post:)

Anonymous said...

Hal...I guess I am back...I hope the time is as real a pleasure as your pictures make one feel...
love
Dad